Property Orders & Property Settlement

Do you know your rights and entitlements regarding your property and assets after your relationship has broken down?

Do you know that you may be entitled to a greater amount for your financial or care-giving contributions over the years of your marriage or relationship?

Because the Property (Relationships) Act 1984 and the Family Law Act 1975 provide that property agreements can only be recognised if both parties have received Independent Legal Advice, it is important that you consult with a Family Lawyer.

Although you have to wait twelve (12) months from the time of separation to apply for a Divorce, an application to the court in relation to property settlement can be made any time after separation.

Similar to a parenting matter, if you and your partner agree on the arrangements to split your assets and liabilities, then you can formalise these agreements by preparing and filing what are called Consent Orders and Terms of Settlement with the Family Court of Australia and ask them to make property orders by consent.

If you and your former partner cannot agree on these matters, it may be necessary to apply to the Family Court or Federal Circuit Court of Australia to determine who will received what and make orders to this effect. These orders are called property orders and if an agreement cannot be reached, a Judge will determine what will occur with your assets and liabilities.

We can assist you with your matter irrespective of whether your matter settles by an agreement with your partner or if the matter proceeds to Court.

Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much